- PROM (Passive Range of Motion) -to- AAROM (Active Assist Range of Motion) as tolerated, except the following:
- No active IR/ extension for 4 weeks.
- PROM in biceps flexion for first 4 weeks
- ROM goals: Week 1: 120º FF/20º ER at side; ABD max 75º without rotation
- ROM goals: Week 2: 140º FF/40º ER at side; ABD max 75º without rotation
- No resisted internal rotation/backward extension until 8-10 weeks post-op
- Grip strengthening OK
- Sling for 4 weeks
- Begin AAROM -to- AROM for internal rotation and backwards extension as tolerated, if not already begun.
- Goals: Increase ROM as tolerated with gentle passive stretching at end ranges
- Begin light resisted ER/FF/ABD: isometrics and bands, concentric motions
- No resisted internal rotation/backwards extension until 8-10 weeks post-op
- Begin resisted IR/BE (isometrics/bands): isometrics — light bands — weights
- Advance strengthening as tolerated; 10 reps/1 set per exercise for rotator cuff, deltoid, and scapular stabilizers.
- Increase ROM to full with passive stretching at end ranges
- Begin eccentric motions, plyometrics, and closed chain exercises at 10-12 weeks.
Please note that these instructions are general guidelines to be followed; however, any written or verbal instructions provided by Dr. Nwachukwu supersede the instructions below and should be followed.